Monday, May 4, 2009

You won't even know it's Faking Fettuccine

Cream. Just that word sends shivers down my spine. There was a point in time when my blood could've been made of that very substance. My coffee would be the color of skin (which is pretty pale) there would be so much cream in it. While waiting for my meals at diners I would down the little half n' halfs in the dish on the table. So, yes, you could say I miss the stuff. This recipe beautifully mocks the real thick smooth creamy Alfredo sauce we've all craved at one point in our lives. I got this 'pie in my inbox from my vegcooking.com recipe of the week, I didn't follow exactly leaving this and replacing that, so I'll give you my final product which was AWESOME! Also, I doubled the recipe which worked great when feeding a large group and since it was so delectable there was plenty for seconds and yes, even thirds! This is a great recipe to use if you are cooking for a large group who unfortunately aren't vegan... trust me they'll love it!! As always, enjoy.
Blanched almonds work wonderfully to add thickness and a soft nutty flavor. To blanch the almonds just throw them in a frying pan and cover with water. Turn on medium heat with a lid and cook until water has disappeared.
Fettuccine AlVegan

-1 tbsp. olive oil

-1 small yellow onion

-1 tbsp. white wine

-1/3 cup blanched almonds

-6 oz. soft tofu

-salt to taste

-dash of cayenne, basil, or any italianish seasons to your liking... I can foresee rosemary tasting great!

-1 lb. fettuccine noodles

Heat oil in a frying pan on medium heat. Chop the onion and add. Cook until tender (not browned) about 5-7 minutes. Stir in the wine and set aside. While the onions start cooking, start your noodles.

Finely ground the blanched almonds in a food processor. Add the onion mixture and blend until smooth. Add the tofu and continue to blend. Add the spices/seasonings/salt and slowly add the soy milk until you've reached a consistency you're happy with (I ended up using less soy milk than the recipe indicates...).

Throw the finished blended creamy sauce into a sauce pan on medium/low heat and cook for while. This is a good point while its warming up to taste and add whatever you think its missing... i.e. more salt, garlic pow, etc...

When the noodles are done, drain, put in a nice big serving bowl, drench them with the alvegan sauce and toss! Va-la!

I went ahead and served garlic bread with this dish... a given. Purchase a baguette, cut in half. Drizzle a generous amount of olive oil, chopped garlic, and salt. Bake at 350 for about 7-10 mns.

No comments:

Post a Comment