Monday, September 14, 2009

Tofu Quiche

Tofu scrambles are a thing of the past. I'm always so skeptical to order a tofu scramble, sometimes they can do it, and sometimes they can't. However, if anyplace had vegan tofu quiche on their menu, there would be no question or hesitation. I mean, this is just a good Tofu scramble jazzed up with a crust, really, that's it, and suddenly it's a million times more delicious (personally speaking... I think the fat may have something to do with it....). Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, it all works. Please, Enjoy!!
Tofu Quiche

For the Crust 
-2 cups flour
-1 1/3 cup earth balance
-2/3 cup water 
Preheat oven to 425. Mix all together in a small to medium size mixing bowl. I use a fork to cut the butter into the flour, but if you have a pastry knife the more power to you. Once it is all mixed up , line it in a pie pan (which I don't own) or a baking pan of your choice (I opted for the 8 x 6 glass ).  Set aside. 

For the Filling
-1 block tofu
-1/4 cup red onion, chopped
-1 small red pepper, chopped (ours came from our garden which is why it was a little tiny, but a reg. pepper would do just fine)
-1 clove garlic, chopped
-1 tbsp. olive/veggie oil or a milk substitute
-1/3 cup water
-1/2 cup nutritional yeast
-1 tsp. dried basil
-1 tsp. turmeric
-1/2 tsp. salt
Mix all together is the same bowl you mixed your crust in. You want to make sure you mash up the tofu pretty good. You're going for the look of a scramble here. When you think it's mixed well enough, pour into the unbaked crust and stick uncovered in the oven for about 15 minutes. You want the crust to be lightly browned around the edges. Let cool a few and serve with a side of hot sauce!! (if you're into hot sauce, which I am....)
  yum!

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE tofu quiche. I like to mix in 1/4-1/2 c. cashews when I put the tofu in the food processor; it adds a nice lightness that really resembles egg quiches. Yours looks great!

    ReplyDelete