Thursday, February 4, 2010

I need to Spelt it out

Recently my roommate became a part of a food-buying club. Smaller than a co-op, but basically the same concept: buy from local farmers in bulk and split it amongst a group of interested individuals. Being an avid baker, flour was number 1 on my list when he asked me what I would like in bulk ... however, the only flour on the list was Spelt ... therefore, I now have 10 lbs. of spelt flour, something I've never used before in my life and have no idea what to do with it .... help?!?

Purusing the web searching for spelt recipes, I came across a blueberry spelt pancake recipe from Eatn Vegan in Toronto. It's a super easy recipe, and the pancakes turned out great!

From Eatn Vegan:

Ingredients

2 cups of spelt flour
1 tsp of baking soda
2 cups of soy milk
1 cup of fresh blueberries
Maple Syrup
1 banana, and chopped strawberries (optional)

Method

Mix flour and baking soda in a bowl, add in soy milk (you could also use almond milk, or non-dairy milk of choice) and mix well.
Drop in your blueberries and stir.
Heat a pan to medium heat (I used a non stick pan, otherwise use a bit of oil to prevent sticking).
Drop 1/4 of a cup of the batter at a time into the pan. When you see bubbles and the edges beginning to to golden, flip the pancake. Continue on making pancakes!

I didn't use the banana's or strawberry's but just covered the cakes in earth balance and pure maple syrup :) 


If anyone out there knows of some awesome spelt recipes, please, SEND THEM MY WAY!!
Enjoy.


2 comments:

  1. Ooh those look good. I've never cooked with spelt but I bet you could make some mean bread. And since you have 10 pounds anyway, maybe you could experiment and make something crazy like spelt cupcakes?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love spelt flour! The book "Eat, Drink & Be Vegan" calls for spelt in a lot of the cookie & muffin recipes.

    ReplyDelete