Monday, February 15, 2010

Kitchen Must Haves

Ok Ok Ok, so I decided to just go back to my old layout with a new picture. I thought the new year, the new decade, could use a little change, but then I remembered ... change is bad.

I recently just bought a pizza stone. This is a must have in any kitchen if you enjoy baking pizza's (which I do!) and other crispy things .. i.e. crackers.
A pizza stone is basically a large either rectangular or circular stone that just sits in your oven. The pizza  is baked on it, and the stone's main advantage is that it helps evenly distribute the heat, and the porous nature of the stone (usually unglazed terra cotta) helps absorb excess moisture which leaves you with a brilliant crispy crust every time!

I was sick of making delicious pizzas and then the center crust being soggy. So, I buckled up and bought a stone. There are many different varieties and brands out there, and they can be as inexpensive as $15.00.

The first delicious pizza I made on the new stone was a white pizza (no sauce, just olive oil and garlic) with butternut squash, asparagus, and sea salt.

Pizza #2 was a typical homemade sauce with fresh rosemary (despite all the snow our plant is still kickin it on the roof ... you go rosemary ...) topped with onion, broccoli, and a nice ricotta we whipped up by food processing raw cashews, nooch, salt, olive oil and lemon!



Lauren the Primo Pizza Crust maker shows her skills

Jamie holding the pizza up just by the crispy crust! Oh how I love thee Pizza Stone!


Another must have for baking ... a mini-bundt cake pan! These are adorable little cakes that make a perfect gift or accent to a dessert tray. I don't own them yet, but next paycheck, they're mine (only one new kitchen gadget a week ... ).
Mini-bundts! Next to mini-cakes.


Andrew the Adorable baker with the mini-cakes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment