Monday, March 22, 2010

Being Belgian

Ladies and Gents, it is my greatest pleasure to introduce to you my all time favorite restaurant (in philadelphia) ... 
The Belgian Cafe
Equipped with sidewalk patio seating, 200 bottled brews, spectacular veg and non veg food, what is there not to love? 
John reading about art nouveau in the sun. 

Located at 21st and Green Street this cafe was introduced to me one year ago, when a good friend told me about a set vegan dinner/drink menu they were hosting for beer week. Done and Done. Well, unfortunately the set vegan menu they had that night didn't do the cafe too much justice. It was mediocre to put it lightly. But, for some reason I let this little place redeem itself ... not once, but over and over again.

The main draw is the vegan seitan BBQ wings (ask for them extra spicy). Coming with a nice cool vegan aioli (that isn't just veganaise, chaa) and a nice little bed of greens with celery, this is the meal I've tried ample times to recreate but have just never quite landed it. Something magical happens in their kitchen that I just don't have... 
BBQ seitan wings


Close up

Besides the best vegan wings in the city, they also offer a vegan soup, burger, meatloaf, fries, and sweet potato hummus. Oh, and did I mention the beer?

LaRulles Tripel 

Specializing in belgian brews, they have quite an impressive bottled collection and always evolving draft selection. This past visit was as wonderful as the new budding flowers. It couldn't have been a more perfect Sunday afternoon. It started with biking there on our new tandom (AHHH!!!). Then mother nature decided to be exceptionally cooperative giving us 65 degrees and warm sun. The outdoor seating and spring beers on tap fit the mood like a glove. 

I started with Southampton's Biere de Mars a smooth, fruity, light, very crisp and refreshing beverage that's based on the authentic french-farmhouse version. It's like drinking those budding flowers. I would've had another one, but I wanted to expand my horizons and try another bubbly rendition of this perfect spring day. My choice: a belgium brew LaRulles Tripel. Having a classic triple belgium taste, but with a faint and surprising far sweet after taste. If this ale was indeed spring it would come in like a lion and out like lamb. 

I recommend this cafe to any and all interested in fab food and delish drinks. 

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment