Monday, March 1, 2010

Blazing Brussels



I don't know when or how these miniature cabbages made there way into my life, but let me tell you something ... They are here to stay!!! For some reason (maybe due from a trauma incident .. the attack of the giant brussels sprouts??) I can not for the life of me, ever recall eating brussels sprouts ever in my life before this past year.... 
And then they were there. Suddenly. Its like a woke up from a long long nap and as I opened the fridge brussels were there to greet me. I was eating them on a weekly basis. Craving brussels. Not being able to picture a life without these leafy little gems. . .

Coming from the same family as cabbage, collard greens, broccoli, and kale - they are packed with vitamins and fiber!

Brussels are featured in this months issue of Vegetarian Times, in the "Chef's Guide to Frozen Vegetables". Now, I don't want to sound snobby, but I try to steer away from frozen veggies, buuuuuuuut if frozen veggies are your thing, then this article is great, giving amazing recipes for veggies found in the freezer section that are both affordable and hold on to their nutritional value.  Apparently 80-85% of the US brussels production is used for the frozen food market... crazy.

I used fresh brussels for this 'pie, but go ahead and use whatever you're comfortable with. This is a great lunch or dinner side dish ... as always, Enjoy.



Miso-roasted Brussels Sprouts
(if you're using fresh brussels cut the end off and do quarter florets, follow recipe as is)

-3 tsp. toasted sesame oil
-3 tsp. rice vinegar, divided (I substituted Apple Cider Vinegar)
-2 tsp. miso paste - (I used red...)
-1 clove garlic, minced
-1 16-oz. bag frozen Brussels sprouts
-1 tsp. toasted sesame seeds
-1/2 tsp. sriracha chile sauce (or any hot sauce of your choice)

Preheat oven to 450. Whisk together 2 tsp. sesame oil, 2 tsp. vinegar, miso, garlic, and hot sauce. Add Brussels and toss to coat.
Spread brussels on baking sheet (I used a casserole dish) and roast for 20 minutes. Tossing about half way through.
When done, transfer to a bowl and stir in remaining oil, vinegar, and sesame seeds.
Add salt and pepper if desired!

1 comment:

  1. Mmmmm...looks delish! I'm going to pick up some Brussels Sprouts this week and try this!

    ReplyDelete