Monday, May 3, 2010

Restaurant Review: Philly's "Thoreau"

Thoreau, needs to get a little closer to nature. Yes, their food is amazing, the vegan options absolutely splendid, however, on a scale of 1 - 10, I'd have to say a 7. Was it the wait staff. . . No. Was it the food. . . No. Was it the atmosphere. . . Yes. If I went back, it would be take-out only. Apparently they are setting up a bomb outside seating area, but for now, I wouldn't go back and sit in the stale, crammed dining room.
The color of the walls reminded me of a new born baby's room. There's no style, no feeling. The walls are pastel, the tables are covered in white linen, and the wait staff all dressed in black?

Anyways, like I said early, the food ... incredible.
My friend Amy and I went there the other weekend. We decided to get a salad, appetizer, and entree - all to share.
Here's what we started with:

Green Curry Mango Summer Rolls
Grilled julienned carrots and parsnips in green curry glaze with fresh mango in rice paper wrapper. Served with arugula-ruby red salad, dipping oils, and grapefruit garnish!

These were super refreshing and really light. I could've have eaten 10 more and called it a night. 


Inverno
Watercress and frisse with maple pecans, jullienned Anjou pears and ricotta salata in chile lime vinaigrette. Served with roasted glazed carrots and beets.


Glazed carrots and beets got us. What they failed to mention on the menu was the avocado!  ... could it look anymore perfect?? 


 
Khorma~




Indian inspired khorma of red lentils, butternut squash and leeks in mild house curry. Topped with mango papaya relish and savory hush puppy corn fritters. 

This stuck out for a number of reasons ... 1. I love indian food 2. khorma's .. yes please 3. Hush puppy corn fritters? A southern spin in lieu of the traditional naan, which was an incredible match!

oh .. and I did I mention dessert ... 

Hazelnut Toffee Basket
Chocolate buttercream mousse, bruleed bananas, hazelnut oatmeal tuille cookie.
THIS IS VEGAN! So amazing. I've never had caramelized banana's before .. oh wait I mean bruleed banana's.. totally rocked my world! Mixed with mousse, mint, whole hazelnuts, and that amazing oatmeal tuille cookies. Oh and the presentation, A+. 






2 comments: